Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Moneymaker

Society tells us that we need a lot of things. We need a big house. We need two, or three, cars. We need new clothes every season. We need expensive furniture and home decor. We need boats and RVs and other "toys". If we listen to society and believe that we need all these things, it is very likely that we will also believe that we need two incomes in order to purchase all these things.

Many working mothers that I know would like to stay home, but feel that they have to work. They see their bills and cost of groceries and think they have no other choice. Sometimes this really might be the case, but often some lifestyle changes will allow for only one income.

My husband took on over $100,000 in student loans to earn a Masters Degree and then a job that earns him around $65,000 a year. You do the math. Some days we just look at each other in frustration, wondering how we are ever going to pay off this debt.

No one would be surprised, knowing our financial situation, if I decided to also get a full-time job to help pay off the debt. But, ever since we got married we have agreed that once we started having children I would stay home with them. It is something I have always wanted and looked forward to doing.

The fact is, even if I did get a job by the time we paid for gas, work attire, convenience foods (because I wouldn't be home to make our meals), and day care, we wouldn't actually be making much more money.  Sometimes we just see the paycheck and think how great it would be to have more, but we forget about the expenses that allow us to earn that paycheck in the first place. I have made it my job then, to not only care for our baby and the house, but to find as many ways as possible to save us money.

I make from scratch nearly all of our meals. My husband takes lunch to work everyday. I shop at thrift and consignment stores and make, repair, or alter many of my own clothes. We rarely buy anything without having researched and found the best deal first. We both drive 15 year old cars and pretty much never go out to eat or to anything that costs money.

I have nothing against working outside of the home if that is what one chooses to do. But my point is that you have a choice. You don't need all the things the world might tell you you need, and if you want to be a homemaker, you can make it work on one income.

Is it hard? Yes. Is it worth it? Absolutely.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...