Saturday, October 4, 2014

I don't know how to be a homemaker

Not long ago while talking to several women from church about some of our projects and activities at home, a friend my age frustratedly said, "Its like I'm not even a girl! I don't know how to do any of these things. I don't cook or sew or anything!"

I have noticed that most of many friends, or other women about my age, feel this way. There are so many conveniences in the world today that many of the skills that our mothers and grandmothers used daily are lost on my generation.  For some, they may find that they can buy everything they need and don't mind that they don't know how to cook or sew or perform other household tasks, but for those that do hope to stay at home with their children, or who simply want to do more for their home, this can be discouraging.

I have never had any kind of "formal" training in homemaking, most of what I know today (which is probably very little compared to some) has come over time through tips and advice and plain old practice. In fact, when I was a little girl I never liked helping my mom cook, and I definitely didn't like cleaning (my bed was never made and my room was usually a mess) but, I did like to sew. My mom often had sewing projects and I still remember when she first bought me a piece of plastic canvas and a plastic needle and yarn to learn how to sew on. Once I had mastered the canvas, she let me move on to squares of scrap fabric and make my own little nine patch quilts (just like Laura Ingalls Wilder!). Later, I would sew little clothes for my dolls, and then I started making minor alterations to my own clothes. Now, I sew frequently and consider it one of my favorite--and most useful--homemaking skills.

So why I am telling you this?  Because, most women (especially today) aren't going to love, or even know how to do, most things that a homemaker does right from the beginning. Start with what you enjoy or are most interested in. You don't have to be good at everything all at once. Homemaking shouldn't be about just doing the same things day after day, but about continually learning and improving on new skills. I didn't really start learning how to cook until I was in college, and its still a skill that I am trying to improve every day.

So to my friend, or anyone who may feel frustrated that they don't know how to cook or sew or do "girly" things, don't worry! Those things can all be learned, and with time even appreciated and enjoyed. Start small, and before you know it you will be surprised at what you can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...