Monday, October 20, 2014

Weekly Tip: Make a list

I don't know if I would ever get anything done if I didn't make lists. I have always been a big fan of goal-making, even as a young girl, and I quickly learned that the best way to start achieving those goals was to first write them down. Now, as a mom and homemaker, it seems that there are always a million things that need to be done and if I don't write them down I never remember to do half of them.

This is what I do to keep me organized each day:

  • I keep a small notepad on my nightstand next to our bed. Each night before going to sleep I think about what I need or want to get done the next day and write it down. It doesn't have to be very detailed, just a word or two to remind me of each item. I include everyday tasks on my list such as laundry and vacuuming, as well as more specific one-time tasks that I need to get done.  I only focus on tasks for the next day, not for the week or month. If you do want to make a some long-tern goals, write them on a separate list. 
  • The next day I look at my list frequently throughout the day and determine when and how I will complete each item. I try to be flexible, never knowing for sure when the baby will nap or what kind of mood he will be in. I try to get a few "easy" items done while the little one is awake and save bigger or more difficult tasks for nap time. 
  • I cross off items as I go. This step is important because it gives you that "I did it!" feeling and makes you want to do more. It's also nice to see at the end of the day all the items with lines through them.
  • If I forgot to add something to my list the night before, I add it as I think of it during the day so I don't forget it later. Don't go overboard with this though, its better to just add a few things that you want to make sure and accomplish soon than to add every single thing you can possibly think of. 
  • If I don't get something done I don't fret about it too much, but I do take time to decide if it's really important, and if so I add it to my list again for the following day.

List-making has proven to be extremely effective for me and I find that I get way more done when I make my list than when I don't. But remember, the list should be a tool, not a burden. Don't get down if you forget to make it or if you don't finish everything on it each day. Use it as a way to learn and improve and to become more organized. Some of my tips may not work for everyone so find a way that works best for you. 

For a few more ideas, I thought this article had some good points: Successful People

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...