Thursday, November 27, 2014

How to: Perfect Pie Crust

Pie is the one thing I look forward to almost more than anything else on Thanksgiving Day. When I was a little girl, I remember my mom making the most delicious pies every year. She would always save the trimmings of pie crust, bake them on a cookie sheet, sprinkle them with powdered sugar and give them to me and my brothers. I loved that pie crust.


But, one year, my mom told me that she was tired of making pies from scratch and decided she would just buy a few pre-made crusts from the grocery store. I was shocked. Not only did I love eating those homemade pies (and trimmings) but it was a tradition to make the pies. Tradition is a big deal in my family and I just couldn't believe my mom was considering buying a crust (I may have been a little over dramatic). I pleaded with her, but she said it was just too much work and Marie Calendar's crust is just as good. "If you want homemade pie, you will have to make it," she told me. I'm not sure if she really thought I would do it or not, but determined to save tradition and my crust, I took on the pie making that year, and have done so ever since.


I use this pie crust recipe every single time I make pies and it is still just the very best crust I have ever had.

Perfect Pie Crust

Ingredients:
4 c. flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 3/4 c. shortening
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 large egg
1/2 c. plus 1 Tbsp cold water

Directions:

Combine flour, sugar and salt in large mixing bowl and mix well. Cut shortening into flour mixture until ingredients are crumbly. Combine vinegar, egg and cold water in small bowl and add all at once to flour and shortening mixture. Combine with fork until dough pulls together (dough will still be crumbly). Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead slightly until crumbs are all combined. Makes 4 or 5 pie crusts.


What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...