Friday, January 16, 2015

Things that Made my Life Easier in 2014: A French Shopping List and a Capsule Wardrobe

I think overall, 2014 was a pretty good year. Phil graduated from school, got a good job, we moved into an apartment that we love, and Luke grew and grew. We feel really grateful and blessed to be in a good situation, even if everything isn't perfect (darn student loan debt).

Lately, I have been trying to find things to make our life more simple and enjoyable. I want to look back on these years and remember good times that we had, not just a busy or stressed-out life. So, I spent some time reflecting on things that I did in 2014 that made my life easier. I found that it had really been just simple, small changes that made a big difference. Here a few of them:
  1. Creating a Capsule Wardrobe
  2. Menu Planning
  3. Using a Monthly Budget
  4. Having a To-do List
Capsule Wardrobe:  First, of all, I had never heard this term until about September of this year, but apparently its "trending".  I have always loved clothes and fashion, but I have never had the money to buy everything I wanted so I have often felt frustrated with my closet, always thinking that if I could just buy a few more things I would be happier with my wardrobe (which of course I never was). In the spring of 2014, I stumbled upon the blog The Private Life of a Girl talking about the "French Wardrobe" which, according to her, means that the French don't have mountains and mountains of clothes, but rather a few basic pieces that they can wear often, and when they shop they only buy a few new pieces each season.  I really liked the idea of being more intentional about the things I buy rather than chasing a bunch of trends that I see on fashion bloggers. So, over the past year I have made a list of 5 things that I wanted for each new season and focused only on buying those pieces. I tried to make sure the pieces on my list were items that would mix well with pieces I already owned, as well as would be pieces that weren't too trendy so that I could use them for a long time, even as trends change.

This way of shopping has changed a lot for me. First, it has helped me avoid impulse buys.  I keep my shopping list on my phone, so whenever I was out browsing I could pull it up and remind myself of the pieces I really needed and wanted rather than getting distracted by some pretty thing that probably wouldn't have suited me in the long run anyway. Next, it made me appreciate the items I already had a lot more, and stop coveting what other people had. When you choose to buy less, and become more thoughtful about what you do buy, it changes your perspective. Instead of thinking, "if only I had more money to..." you choose to think (and therefore begin to feel), "I am choosing to limit my purchases and be content with what I have."

After making my seasonal lists over the course of the year, I discovered another great blog called un-fancy that focuses on keeping a "capsule wardrobe" for each season. Basically, a capsule wardrobe means that you choose to only have a certain number of items in your wardrobe for a certain number of months and you don't buy new clothes during that time. In the un-fancy blog, she has 37 items (shoes included!) that she wears for 3 months (spring, summer, fall, winter). I had already been trying to simplify my wardrobe so I really liked this approach and decided to give it a try.

I sorted through all of my things and got rid of anything that was old or that I didn't wear very much (I actually do this pretty frequently, so it wasn't a big ordeal). Then, I boxed up all the items that I didn't want to have in my fall wardrobe (mostly short sleeve shirts, shorts, capris and a few other items that I decided I didn't need currently hanging in my closet). I didn't quite get down to 37 pieces, but I was pretty close, and I wore only those items through October, November and December. Turns out, I didn't miss my other clothes at all and I enjoyed how having less items gave me the opportunity to be more creative. I found new ways to wear things that I had never tried before and I found that rather than feeling like I didn't have enough, I just really enjoyed my clothes and getting dressed each day.

At the beginning of January I pulled my boxes out, put away a few things from my Fall capsule and added some new things. Now I will only wear those things until the end of March. I will still continue to make my French shopping list, and buy the 5 new things I need for each season/capsule. This whole progression over the year has really helped me to be more content, which is something I not only want for myself, but want to teach our kids too. It seems silly that clothes and the way I buy and wear them would be a source of happiness, but they have been, and I can see how that change in perspective has influence other areas of my life as well. I'm looking forward to a new year of a simple, easy wardrobe.

Check back for more posts on things that made my life easier in 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...