Friday, January 9, 2015

My Resolutions for 2015

It's no secret that I like to make goals. My type A personality gets a high off of list-making, and especially off of crossing things off of that list, so it should be no surprise that I get a little giddy with each new year. It's exciting to think about what I might be able to accomplish. A whole year ahead of me! What should I do with it?!

I just finished reading The Happiness Project, and I got a lot of ideas about how to approach my resolutions this year. I want to stretch, but I also want to be myself. I want to try things I have never tried, and also get better and doing things that I should already be doing. I want to be realistic about my life. I have a one year old. We live on a tight budget. There are some things that won't happen this year. But that's ok.

Here a my resolutions so far. I'm still working out some of the details, because I know that you can't just make a goal without having a plan to accomplish that goal, but for now I wanted to at least get them written down.

Exercise at least once a week. I know, I know, exercising once a week isn't going to get me into shape. But right now I don't exercise at all. I know that I'm not going to do it everyday, and its unlikely that I'll even do it every other day, but once a week? I can do that. I really enjoy walking, but its pretty cold these days, so if I don't get out for a walk with Luke I will go to our gym and run on the treadmill. If I don't get to the gym, I'll do some cardio/stretches/ab workouts inside. I'm trying to be realistic here, so as far as I'm concerned, any kind of working out is progress. Hopefully as I go along I can increase what I do.
Eat less sugar. I have a serious sweet tooth. I eat a lot of sugar. Every day. I know that I should cut back, but it's hard. I've tried to just plain stop eating sugar cold turkey, but that only lasted for about two days before I gave in and ate a whole bag of skittles. So, this time I'm going to try to, again, be more realistic. Here is my plan. During the month of January and February I will be allowed to eat sugar 5 out of 7 days of the week. Then, depending on how that goes, in March and April I will cut it down to 4 out of 7 days. Then down to 3, and then 2 days. I don't think I will cut it down more than that, because, I like sugar. I see no reason to get rid of it altogether, but cutting back will definitely be better for me.
Eat more fruit and vegetables. Along with eating too much sugar, I don't eat nearly enough fruit or vegetables. Its harder in the winter to find good fruit, and I don't love salad, but I know I need to make more of an effort. A new Sprouts is opening right by our house so I am hoping that I can find some better produce there that will help me stick to my goal.
Keep a one sentence journal. I used to write in a journal almost every day for years. Then I got married. I have tried on and off to start writing regularly again, but it never sticks. I got the idea for one sentence journal keeping from The Happiness Project, and I think it may work for me. Just sticking to one sentence takes off a lot of pressure to keep a record of everything, and instead reminds me to just write down the best thing of each day.  I read before I go to sleep almost every night, so I think I can sacrifice a few of those precious minutes to write one or two sentences.
Write a novel in 30 days. I have always wanted to write a novel. I have started bits and pieces here and there. I even tried NaNoWriMo a couple of years ago, but November was just too busy of a month to finish. I've decided I will try a less busy month, like March or June, but most importantly I am just going to focus on writing, not on publishing. Whenever I sit down to write something, I always just want to edit it before I get very far, and I always think about whether or not anyone would every read it. This time, that won't matter. I don't care if my novel is good, I just care about trying and finishing. 

That's all for now! Wish me luck as start this new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...